Thursday, January 01, 2009

Catch-Up Post: Cisco I-Prize Winner

Yes, it often happens - I miss a prize event and have to post on it after the fact. I don't have a thorough means of catching prize news automatically or time to frequently check more than a few sites by hand, and although it might be useful to make one that's publicly available, I've never set up a "prize calendar" even for my own use to make sure I catch events that are pre-scheduled. Now that my automated Google blog searches are for some reason returning a huge number of irrelevant or out of date articles, it may happen more often until I fix it or set up a replacement. Non-space prize events in particular may slip by more often.

Anyway, here's the late Cisco I-Prize news from October:

Cisco Selects Winner of Global I-Prize Innovation Contest - Cisco News Room - The winning team, based in Germany and Russia, presented Cisco with a business plan that improves energy efficiency by taking advantage of Cisco's leadership in Internet Protocol (IP) technology. ... The winning team proposed an approach to using the network as the platform for visibility, manageability and, ultimately, optimized control of energy-consuming systems. The winning business plan was notable for its combination of technology and business model innovation.

You'll find more about the smart grid proposal at the Cisco I-Prize site.